Monday, September 09, 2019

Potters & Possessions


Potters & Possessions
Jeremiah 18:1-11; Luke 14:25-33
September 8, 2019
I’ve thrown a few pots in my time. I’m not at all good at it. People who can do it well seem like magicians to me. So I get the first part of Jeremiah’s parable – “the vessel the potter was making was spoiled in the potter’s hands.” Been there; done that.
But making the “spoiled vessel” into something new and useful – that regularly eluded me when I sat at the wheel working the clay.
I suppose it depends a lot on what medium you choose and what gifts and practice you bring to the work. I’ve rescued some “spoiled writing” in my time, and worked out a song or two that seemed destined for the waste basket or the delete key. Visual arts? Not so much. Culinary arts? Not a chance. Human arts? Well ... that’s always a work in progress.
God, Jeremiah suggests, has gifts for the human condition. That is to say, as Jeremiah understands the divine, God is driven to rework us, to create in us something more, something more pleasing, something more grace-filled, something more loving.
At the same time, God knows, sometimes we are less than we could be.
In the challenging text from Luke’s gospel, Jesus takes aim at some of what gets in the way of our becoming more. It comes down to possessions:
“None of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions.”
We often spiritualize this text or take it metaphorically to take some of the weight off of it. That’s understandable for us Christians who are also citizens of the richest empire in the world. It’s understandable for us Christians living in the 21st century in the wake of the triumph of consumerism as the dominant global ideology. It’s understandable for us Christians living in houses that are, on average, three times as big as the ones our parents or grandparents lived in back when I was born almost 60 years ago. We “need” those big houses because, in the United States, we consume twice as many material goods as we did 50 years ago. Most of our homes have more televisions than people. A quarter of our two-car garages don’t have room in them to park one car, which probably explains why about 10 percent of our households rent off-site storage spaces – explaining why that industry (which basically didn’t exist when I was born) has been the fastest-growing segment of the commercial real estate market for 40 years.
That’s a lot of stuff – a lot of possessions to give away.
We rich Christians really don’t like to do the hard work of accounting for our wealth and our possessions. Oh, we might embrace the Marie Kondo form of shedding the things that don’t bring us joy, but no sooner than we’ve cast off one item that doesn’t bring us joy we’ve been on Amazon ordering two more that, we trust, will bring us that shot of consumer joy we’re addicted to.
Having said that, and standing before you convicted by my own words, I am, nonetheless, going to point away from the things themselves toward a different possession – a spiritual possession, perhaps, and, perhaps, a demonic one – as I think about the possession I most need to give up in order to become a disciple of Jesus.
What do I possess? What possesses me? What stands in the way of more faithfully following Jesus? What gets between me and the something more that God is trying to shape in me, that God is trying to call forth from me?
Now it may well be that my material possessions are still what I should be trying to shed, but when I think of what I possess than has made so much of that material well-being possible I am compelled to look more deeply. What I see, when I look in the mirror, is privilege staring right back at me.
Male privilege. Straight privilege. White privilege. These possessions – and a longer list of similar marks of privilege – cling to me more inescapably than the material things. I cannot let go of them, for I bear them on my skin, most clearly in the case of my privilege as a person of pallor. White privilege. I possess it. It possesses me. I cannot give it up.
I can, however, give it away. How? Well, first let’s be clear, I will always walk through the world as a straight, white, well-educated, Protestant, man in a society where each of those unearned attributes readily open doors to me that folks who don’t have them have to work way harder to squeeze through. So if I will, inevitably, retain these possessions, how can I also give them away?
I see at least four ways before me – four practices that I can take on that open up possibilities that are otherwise foreclosed.
First, I can pick up a different lens through which to see the world – the lens of antiracism work and the awareness that comes through that work. When I look at the wider world through the lens of antiracism work I am better able to see the intersections of the concerns that tug at my heart.
For example, looking through that lens I am more likely to notice the fact that violence against trans people is heavily tilted toward trans women of color. Gay men of color face barriers that this straight, white man cannot even imagine. To take another example, looking through the lens of antiracism work I am more likely to notice that a disproportionate number of families of color suffer food insecurity. Similarly, immigrants of color are far more likely to face discrimination that white immigrants.
In other words, all of the issues that we have named as our principle callings at CPC, can be viewed with more clarity through the lens of antiracism work. When we see things more clearly we respond to them more effectively.
In responding to the issues I feel called to engage, the work of antiracism invites me into a second practice: using the power that comes with my privilege to make sure that others who do not enjoy that privilege can be seen and heard.
The third practice is closely related but is important enough to name it as a distinctive practice: giving away the power of privilege by remaining silent in situations where the last thing a conversation needs is one more white, male voice. And, yes, I am certainly thinking about the current presidential campaign when I say this. Seriously, after the fifth or sixth middle-age, straight, white man tossed his hat in the ring did the next 15 to do so have something new and distinctive to offer the conversation?
If so, I have not heard it. But what I have heard is the call to a fourth practice: encouraging others to engage the practices of dispossessing. Maybe we should send invitations to a dozen candidates for president to join us in this work this fall!
Probably not. But, I do encourage you to join the conversation this fall as we engage the work of antiracism as a lens through which to see all of our mission more clearly.
I’m confident that I could take you through an economically precise and historically accurate accounting of the deep connections between late-capitalism’s obsession with possessions and the deep roots of white privilege in the ideology of white supremacy. It’s pretty easy to point to scores of books recounting that economic and social history. All of that scholarly work points to one simple conclusion: it’s no coincidence that the ideology of white supremacy arose side-by-side and hand-in-hand with the ideology of free-market capitalism. Both are ideologies. Neither is natural. Both are the results of political choices.
Both misshape and deform the potter’s clay, and both rely for their continued support on a profound misreading of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Other choices remain possible. The future is not written in stone. Nevertheless, none of us can become disciples of Jesus until we find a way to give up our possessions and the demons that possess us.
I invite you to engage this work of dispossession in community this fall. Amen.