Tuesday, September 20, 2016

What Is Our Work?

Jeremiah 18:1-4; Psalm 139
September 4, 2016
I took some pottery classes a few years back. I really enjoyed the way the clay felt and the way the wheel spun, but what I mostly got out of it was that experience of “the clay spoiled in the potter’s hands.” That is to say, I really wasn’t very good at it.
That was perfectly fine. We don’t have to be good at everything we take on, and if I had free and ready access to clay and a wheel I’d probably throw a lot of ugly pots and be perfectly happy with working the clay even if I never got particularly good at it.
A lot of times, it really is about the journey and not the destination, about the process rather than the outcome.
That’s good, because in the larger work to which we are called the outcome is simply not up to us. That larger work to which we are called, as followers of Jesus, as the church, is the work of being faithful – fully and completely faithful in every aspect of our lives.
What does that mean? What does it look like in practice? Oh, and why the heck isn’t the outcome up to me?
That last question is the easiest to answer, though it may be the hardest to accept. The outcome isn’t up to me because I am not God. The outcome isn’t up to you because you are not God.
Even working exclusively within the metaphor of potter and clay, the outcome of what I attempted on the wheel wasn’t entirely up to me. To be sure, I had a hand – two hands, in fact – in it, but I did not build the wheel, much less the power grid on which it relied to spin. I did not gather the clay. I did not grow the wheat that became the bread that held the sandwich that powered my body as I sat at the wheel to throw the pot. I did not build any of it all by myself, so why should I ever assume that the outcome was up to me?
So what is the work that is mine to do? What is the work of faith? Surely, it has a great deal to do with love, and, just as surely, that’s where it gets even messier than the potter’s wheel.
Accepting, as best I am able, that the outcome is not entirely up to me, I am confronted by a second, powerful truth that is also difficult to accept. Not only is the outcome not up to me, but there may be no good reason for what happens along the way.
That’s pretty easy to accept when the work is throwing a pot, but it’s much more difficult to accept when the work is loving another human being. That is to say, it was never that hard to accept when the clay collapsed in my hands and the pot was spoiled. I never searched for deep meanings in the ruined clay.
Yet something in most of us wants to believe that there is purpose and deeper meaning to the most difficult parts of our lives. We need to believe that tragedy happens for a reason, that the deaths of loved ones, for example, have meaning and purpose.
Writer Tim Lawrence captures this search for deeper meaning well in a simple story:
I’m listening to a man tell a story. A woman he knows was in a devastating car accident; her life shattered in an instant. She now lives in a state of near-permanent pain; a paraplegic; many of her hopes stolen.
He tells of how she had been a mess before the accident, but that the tragedy had engendered positive changes in her life. That she was, as a result of this devastation, living a wonderful life.
And then he utters the words. The words that are responsible for nothing less than emotional, spiritual and psychological violence:
Everything happens for a reason. That this was something that had to happen in order for her to grow.
That's the kind of bullshit that destroys lives. And it is categorically untrue.[1] 
How many times have you heard that phrase? “Everything happens for a reason.” Or, its religious counterpart, “it was God’s will.”
As Lawrence put it, those words, and others much like them, “are responsible for nothing less than emotional, spiritual and psychological violence.” Such words undermine the human need to grieve, because rather than allow us to rest for a season with our deeply felt sadness they short-circuit the sadness and cut short the season of grief. After all, why be sad when the death of a loved one is just part of God’s plan because – and you’ve no doubt heard this phrase – because God just needed another angel to sing in the heavenly choirs.
What a load of theological garbage to dump on grieving friends. God does not need more angels – whatever the heck we think that means.
John Pavlovitz puts it this way:
Deep within the background operating system of my faith there’s a buried, fiercely protected trust in a God who is good and in an existence that matters. But this core truth doesn’t come with the assumption that all things, (including all the horrors we might encounter here), have a purpose. It doesn’t come with a hidden silver lining always knitted into the fabric somewhere, if only we can uncover it.[2]
For one thing, if we hold on to the notion that everything is part of God’s plan, then we’ve created an image of a God who for whom the violent deaths of innocent children and women and men is just another day at the heavenly office.
Pavlovitze goes on to say, “It’s exhausting enough to endure the dark hours here and not lose our religion, without the addition of a Maker who also makes us bleed. Instead, I prefer to understand God as One who bleeds along with us; Who sits with us in our agony and weeps, not causing us our distress but providing a steady, holy presence in it.”
That holy presence is the model for our work of faith. We are not called to solve all of life’s challenges for ourselves, our loved ones, our larger communities. We are, however, called to be fully present through those challenges. More to the point, we are called to be lovingly present, engaged in the work of love at every step of the way.
In ways both broad and social as well as small and deeply personal, our labor is the same – to be faithful to the One who knit us together in love and who calls us to live together in that same love. So, friends, come labor on.