Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Holy Listening

October 5, 2008
Isaiah 6; John 1:43-51
The cell phone rings.
“Hello? Uh, no. Sorry, you must have the wrong number.”
Sorry about that. She was looking for a Dawid. So, to begin
– the cell phone rings again
“Hello? Sorry. Look I told you before you have the wrong number
… what’s that? No, my name is David. Who did you say you were?
The great I Am?
… Oh, that’s OK, no problem. Oh … a Hebrew pronunciation. Yeah, most folks mess up my last name.
… Right. Yeah, I suppose I don’t have any name problems compared to you with the whole I am who I am thing.
Uh … God? Look, I’m really busy right now. I’m right in the middle of worship.
What’s that? What better time to talk to God? Uh … right.
Look, could we talk later, maybe this afternoon? You could come to me in a dream during my nap.
Now? Well I was just beginning my sermon.
What’s it called? Oh, I named this one “Holy Listening.”
What’s it about? Well, I was going to talk about discernment.
Yeah, discernment … you know, listening for God’s call and vocation and that kind of thing.
Yeah, you’re right. Kind of ironic.
Yes, you do have a good sense of humor. I agree.
Yes, I have always thought the duck-billed platypus was kind of funny.
No, no I meant really funny.
Is everybody in the congregation laughing, too?
Yes, indeed. They agree, you have a heavenly sense of humor.
Oh, sorry.
Right. I’ll stick to preaching and leave the stand up to you.
Excuse me, God, the congregation would like to know if I could put you on speaker?
Oh, right. You hate that echo effect. Yeah, me too.
The sermon? Yes, on call and discernment.
Well, I was going to throw together a few good quotations about discernment, like this one from the Catholic theologian, Wendy Wright, who says, “discernment requires that we pay attention. … [It] is about feeling texture, assessing weight, watching the plumb line, listening for overtones, searching for shards, feeling the quickening, surrendering to love.”
… Yeah, I liked that one. Especially the part about paying attention. I have a friend who says she thinks of discernment simply as waking up to what’s really going on around you.
… Yes, that’s Leanne Hodges, how’d you know?
Oh, right. The omniscient thing. Must come in handy now and then.
Then there’s Parker Palmer, the Quaker, who talks about listening to your life, and letting your life speak. I like the idea of paying attention, day by day, to our own life stories.
… What’s that? What about my own story of discerning call?
I guess a big part of that for me has come in paying attention to turning points in my own life, and trying to figure out where you were in them, and where you were nudging me. I must say, it’s highly unusual to get a phone call about this. You’re usually a bit more obtuse and obscure – no offense.
Non taken? Good.
Yes, I know this is just my imagination at work – but you gave me that gift and besides, it’s kind of fun having this chat.
Anyway, where was I?
Oh, right, my own story and turning points.
Well, one of them came way back in 1995, when I heard the story from John that we read here a couple of minutes ago – the one about Philip and Nathanial. Cheryl and I were dipping our toes in the water of church again after a long absence.
… excuse me? Oh, well, you know, we were busy starting a family and finishing school and so on. … I know, we didn’t call, we didn’t write, we didn’t come to visit. What, are you some kind of Jewish mother? … And father, right! Well, look, I’m sorry. I’m here now, OK.
Anyway, the preacher read that story and preached a sermon about it. I really don’t remember the sermon at all. … Yeah, I know, nobody remembers sermons. Maybe you should call better story tellers.
What’s that? You work with what you’ve got?
Anyway, the preacher talked about how even some of Jesus’ first disciples didn’t know what to make of him, and how they had a lot of doubts, but found something in that invitation to “come and see” that was irresistible. And I guess we did, too.
That church was having a meeting right after worship, not a big, long thing, just a simple brief informational gathering for people interesting in exploring membership, in coming and seeing. So we did, and the rest, as they say, is history.
… Who says that? Lots of people, it’s a common expression. No, it doesn’t mean I think I’m going down in history books. It’s just what happened.
… Well, yes, I suppose what happened was that we learned a bit better how to listen for you and look for you day by day to figure out what you were calling us to do.
… Yes, that’s why I called this sermon “Holy Listening,” because it’s about listening for what is holy in your life.
What’s that? I could have spelled it with a “w” and still called in “wholly listening”? Yes, it would have been a good pun. Yes, God, you do have a killer sense of humor. No, no, I’m not just saying that to make you feel good.
… Are you as funny as Jon Stewart? Oh, I’m sure you must be. No, really.
(aside) wow, now I understand that part about the “jealous God.”
Oh, nothing, just speaking with the congregation for a moment. Remember? The middle of worship? Sermon. No, really, no problem.
… Yes, you’re absolutely right, of course. We should be talking together as a community about listening for you. That’s why we are beginning an exploring membership group, and a CALL group, and we’re doing the Saving Jesus stuff, too.
… What’s that? Jesus has always needed saving? He was a problem child and you always had to worry about him getting in trouble? Really. Well, we’re trying our best to follow the example he set. … Yes, we’ll be careful. Thanks for your concern. … Right, just doing your job as the compassionate creator of the universe.
So, God, can I ask you a question? Yes. I am wondering if this call and discernment stuff really works. I mean, all my life I’ve been trying to listen for you and figure out what you want me to do with my life, and I’m never really sure that I’m on the right track.
Yes, you did call this morning, and I really appreciate it – yes, I do recall that it’s all in my imagination, but I’m OK with that. Anyway, I’m still wondering about the call stuff. I mean, Isaiah saw all those wacky heavenly creatures when he heard your call.
What’s that? Isaiah was a little wacked himself … and always kind of wordy. But the important thing was he said, “here I am, Lord.” That makes sense, but still, that was a long, long time ago, and, you said yourself, he was a little wacked.
Who’s that? Sorry, I didn’t catch the name? Oh, yes, Nat, from the CALL program here last fall. Yes, she was really searching. Yes, she didn’t really like her job at the television station. Oh, yeah, she really loves working with horses. What’s that? Yes, I guess that’s true, her experience of listening in community for your call helped her name that love, that passion and her own gifts, and I think it did give her the courage to go for it. Yes, it’s really cool, she quit her job and she moved to North Carolina to work with horses. What’s that? That’s exactly where you wanted her to be all along? That’s really great.
No, I’m not just saying that. It is really great when we figure out where we ought to be and who we ought to be and how we ought to be.
Hm … when we find ourselves there, that is when we begin to minister? That’s interesting … well, more than interesting. Right, it’s crucial. Yes, I agree – it is the entire point of living – to be in ministry in the world. No, of course not. Not all ministries of word and sacrament, but ministries of teaching, of healing, of feeding, of caring, of leading, of serving the least of these.
Yes, I think all of us hunger for that.
You have to run now? Really? A star about to go super-nova? You just love watching that kind of thing? Hey, it sounds pretty cool to me. Have fun!
Right. You’re God and it’s a pretty good gig.
Thanks for the call. Bye now.
Right, you just say, “amen.”
Wow! No minutes at all. God must have a great call plan.
Let me close with an observation from theologian Mark McIntosh:
From there first encounter with the crucified and risen Jesus, believers have been drawn into a worshipping community where truth has given itself to be known in the creation of new life together. Spiritual discernment has arisen naturally and most necessarily for such a common life, because it reflects the pressure of a living truth – refusing partiality and bias, pushing beyond individual understanding, opening the discerning community to the creative, self-sharing life from which all truth springs. Discerning truth could never be a lonely form of life. The truth humanity hungers for seems far too large a feast for solitary diners. It requires a sharing far too joyful for any but the truly wise. For they alone discern the depth of thanks most justly due so great a giver. Knowing the giver in each gift, they are themselves set free from small desires and awake to God’s desire in every thing; they discern its truth in praise.
Let us give thanks and praise to the giver of life. Let us gather at this table. Let us join in the feast. Amen.